Tuesday, June 21

Cheap Tuesdays - DIY Laundry Powder

 
I have had this recipe to make my own laundry powder for years now but have never gotten around to it until last month when I got my Thermomix. The ingredients to make four batches of this laundry powder should be available at your supermarket for about $10. If you have more work ethic than me you can easily just zest grate the soap or use your food processor (it will just take longer than a Thermomix and you might not get as fine a grain, but its going in your washing not your mouth!).

½ cup borax (or 1 cup bicarb for garden friendly use)
1 cup of washing soda
125g bar laundry soap
Chop laundry soap... I ended up kind of slicing it into large crumbles... and put into Thermomix bowl on speed 9 for 6 seconds. Add washing soda & borax (or bicarb) into Thermomix bowl on speed 9-10 for 8 seconds. Put into a labelled airtight container and use 2 level teaspoons per load.

I made a batch of the borax one for my sister in law and the bicarb one for us (because our laundry water ends up in our garden) and they both work well, especially at removing feral smells. From my limited observations the borax one seems a tiny bit better for stain removal. With some vague maths calculations (i.e. I didn't calculate at all and am just guessing!) you should get about 50 loads out of each batch of laundry powder. I'm also loving not sneezing every time I do the washing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear what you think!